Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Dinner rolls on Vacation

4th of July weekend!  Boy what a great weekend we had but baking on vacation is a little difficult.  I couldn't find all the flours that I would use to make dinner rolls so I bought a mix.  This is Bob's Red Mill Bread Mix.  I followed the directions almost exactly with a few changes. 
The recipe calls for butter or oil and because of supplies I used half butter and half olive oil.  I put all the liquid ingredients into a pot to warm them up.  They were straight out of the fridge and I needed to proof the yeast.  The directions said to proof the yeast in just the warm milk but I was worried about there not being any sugar in my almond milk.  I use the unsweetened kind so just to be safe and because I like sweet dinner rolls I added about 2 to 3 tablespoons of honey to my liquid.  The yeast started foam right away.  I let it sit for about 5 minutes and it looked like this.
It then all went into the kitchenaid.  No dough hook just the mixer until you have a thin playdough texture.  Well more in between play-dough and glue.  (I know great food analogies! but that is what it reminds me of)
I then coated my hands with olive oil so I can form the dough into balls.  I had to wash my hands everyother roll and re-coat because of the texture.  
Here they are in as close to a ball as I could get.  I pre-heated the oven to 375 like the directions called for but didn't cook it for an hour.  I only cooked them for 20 minutes and...
Don't they look delicious!  I think the looked better then they tasted.  This mix uses Garbonzo bean flour and I am not a fan.  It leaves a funny after taste.  But good news is the after taste was well hid with honey and butter it the nice fluffy rolls.  So even on vacation you can surprise your family and friends with your gluten free baking!

1 comment: