Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Pizza Pizza Pizza!!!

I actually had experiment number one turn out!  My kids were being super good at the grocery store and they usually get to pick whats for dinner when that happens.  Well, they saw the pepperoni and asked multiple times before I said yes if they could have pizza for dinner.  I was worried because I promised myself that tonight was going to be my first meal on Gluten Free Kitchen Aid.  GF Pizza crust isn't the easiest creation.  I have tried before and it didn't work.  I was an inedible!  But I promised you the good, the bad, and the inedible.  I used all the same ingredients my little sister used when she mad her pizza crust but changed quantities and flour.  Well, I guess I just used hers as a "whats in pizza crust" kind a way.  So here is my beautiful finished pizza! 
 Looks delicious doesn't it.  Oh and it was.  Yummy fluffly and crisp crust.  I started by mixing my flours.  You can buy GF Pizza crust from multiple companies or buy pre made from Sami's Bread Company but I enjoy baking therefore made my own.  I decided to use 4 cups of flour.  I mixed 2 cups of brown rice flour 1 1/2 cups of Potato starch (not potato flour) 1/2 cup of Tapioca flour.  It is important to use all the different flours because they each carry a different purpose.  I won't go into all that now but keep an eye out for it on my Gluten Free? page
 After you have your flour measured out add 1tsp of Xanthum Gum and 1/2 cup of sugar.  You can do less sugar but I like my crust a little on the sweet side.  I then added a double serving of yeast.  Typically you would only use 2 1/4 tsp but I doubled that.  So add  4 1/2 tsp of rapid rise yeast.  I did not proof the yeast just put it on top.  Then add 1 1/4 cup of very warm water and 1 tbl of olive oil .  You don't want the water hot or you will kill your yeast.
 After all mixed it should look like this...



 The dough is closer to a thick batter then a real bread dough at this point.  It isn't runny and you can't pour it but it is starting to stick together.  I let it rise for about an hour.  You might be able to shorten this time because it didn't look like it changed much after about 30 minutes.
 I then greased one large and one regular cookie sheet.  I would recommend two regular cookie sheets because one of my crusts turned out pretty thin.  You can make the crust as thin or as thick as you like.  I made one of each and both turned out great.  I oiled  my hands so the doughy batter wouldn't stick and started smashing on the sheets.  End result...
 Preheat oven to 375.  Add your cheese and toppings then bake all together for 15 to 20 minutes.


You want to pull it out when the crust is just starting to get golden brown on all edges.  If you use a spatula and pull up the pizza you will be able to tell better.  I hope you enjoy and leave some ideas for some yummy toppings!

 P.s.  
It was so yummy and I was tired of the stress of hoping this would work then eating to much that we had it for breakfast too.  Shhhh don't tell I might get in trouble


No comments:

Post a Comment