Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Tomato Basil Pantry Soup

This soup was delicious!!  This was not my recipe but so quick and easy to make I had to share.  This recipe came from  Simply Sugar and Gluten Free

 
 I have always loved tomato soup but had a hard time finding one that I could quickly make from scratch that I loved.  I don't like to much added stuff in my tomato soup.  I just like tomato soup, plain tomato soup.  This was that and more.  It had flavor and texture to the perfect degree.  I hope you enjoy as much as I did!

2 tbs unsalted butter
2 tbs olive oil
1 cup diced onions
1tbs minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
1/8 tsp cinnamon
3 tbs chopped fresh Basil
4 cups chicken stock or broth
2 - 28oz cans of whole tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste

Heat butter and olive oil in large pot.  Add onion and cook for 10 min until onions are soft.  Add garlic cook 3-5 min.  Add cinnamon and basil cook about 5 min.  Add broth.  SS&GF has you add the whole tomatoes then blend it all at the end.  I didn't have time for that so instead I removed most of the basil leaves at this time put them in a blender with my tomatoes and puree them.  I then added it all back to the pot and simmered for 20 min. 

No comments:

Post a Comment