Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Cilantro Chicken and Rice

I really wanted something with a cilantro sauce and lots of it.  So I dove into the fridge to figure out what I had.  I decided to create this meal that was quick and delicious!  I started with rice but added a handful of diced cilantro to add a little extra flavor to the rice.  I let it cook while I made the chicken topping. 
I pulled out two frozen chicken breasts and threw them in a sink full of warm water.  This defrosts them pretty quick without cooking the outer layer.  I also like them a little frozen when I cut them up because it seems to make the cutting go quicker.  I heated about a tsp of olive oil in a pan and cooked the chicken with the rest of the cilantro.
When the chicken was no longer pink but not yet browned I started to add the rest of the veggies.  I put in 
1 whole onion, chopped
2 tbs of butter

 
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
2 tbs of Balsalmic Vinegar
2 tbs of Honey
1 small bag of frozen broccoli crowns
I cooked on medium heat until broccoli was warm.  I then added 2 avocados, chunked and salted to taste..
I served this over the cilantro rice and yummy!
I had some left over mashed Yams that I served as a side dish .
My kids both had tow helpings and we didn't have left overs.  It was great.  Try it and let me know if you have any other suggestions to throw in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment