Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Grocery Experiment Begins

My family and I have been eating gluten and dairy free for quite sometime now.  In fact we eat very little grains at all.  I have always struggled with the amount of money we spend on groceries.  So I decided to see how little I could spend and still eat well.  I found this couple's blog, Koa Strength, that are eating Paleo for $40 a week.  They are a couple and their experiment is to eat on the cheap  not necessarily organic and grass fed. So keep that it mind.  I am hoping to keep my grocery bill for 5 people under $200 per week including organic when I can and good meets.
 My grocery lists will include breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 2 adults and three kids that eat a ton!  I have never been good at cutting coupons because I am picky about the brands I buy.  So the only coupons I use are in store ones or a random one here or there.  I will give you my list and what I didn't buy because I already had it on hand and the prices.  I will do my best to post the meals I cook as I do so.

Today I went to HEB.  I  spent $124.76 and I am budgeting an additional $10 to buy apples and pears at sprouts where they are a lot cheaper.

My List:
4 dozen eggs
5 Sunwell Sweet Potato Chips
2Sunwell Mixed Veggie Chips
2Organic Blue tortilla Chips
2 Unsweetened Applesauce
Large Ketchup
2 lbs deli turkey
1 lb petite cubed Beef
2 HEB fruit twist
4 small limes
10 green Bell Peppers
1 small Cabbage
1 head green Leaf Lettuce
1 Bunch spinach
3.2 lbs Sweet Potatoes
2 small bags frozen peas
4 lbs ground turkey
2 cans black beans
1 yellow squash
2 zucchini squash
3 red Bell Peppers
5 cucumbers
4 Large avocados
5.2 lbs Bananas (about 15)
2 small bags of Carrots
.75 lbs of green beans


I had on hand at home to use for this weeks meals:  4- 5 chicken breast, 2 dozen eggs, onions ( Guess cost $17)

My meal plan:

Breakfast:  One Banana per kid and two to three eggs per person.
Lunch:  Deli turkey, cucumbers, frozen peas (yes my kids prefer their peas frozen)  or leftovers if there is any!
Snack/ lunch rotation:  carrots, apples, pears, sunwell chips, fruit twist

Dinners:
Beef Stir fry
Taco Salads
Stuffed Peppers
Thai Salad
Chicken Taco soup
Chicken Fajita

So here goes week one....we will see how it goes...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Stephanie. This looks manageable. Looking forward

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to see more! And so glad you posted that couples blog too. I have been struggling with the same thing (cost of groceries)

    ReplyDelete